Living in an interconnected world means that businesses have to continually find ways to ensure employees have access to files wherever they are in the world. They also need to be able to access files from any device. This is where cloud storage can offer big advantages over storing your company’s files on local servers.
Cloud storage is simply a place to put files so they are safe and can be accessed from anywhere at any time. There are several benefits to cloud storage. It:
- Frees space on local hard drives;
- Keeps files in one secure location (regardless of file format);
- Offers easy access which can ultimately lead to better productivity.
Not all cloud storage is the same. There are things you should take into account when searching for the best option for your business.
Consider your priorities
There are different factors to consider depending on the business you run, the information and data you need to store, and the number of employees you have. Regardless of your situation, there are some common issues to think about when you’re looking for a good cloud storage solution:
- Security – The type of data you need to store and the sensitivity of your files will likely be the biggest determining factor for this. You should ask cloud storage providers about two-factor authentication and encryption to decide what’s right for your company. The importance of proper security for your files can’t be underscored enough.
- Compliance – Consider whether any of your files or the information you store need to comply with regulatory requirements. If so, you should consider working with a service provider that specializes in compliance support for your industry. That way you can rest assured that you’re following all regulatory and privacy laws.
- Cost – Cloud storage is almost always more cost effective than investing in and building your own infrastructure. Three things to pay close attention to with service providers are: Service Level Agreements (SLAs), difference in price between cold (offline) storage and hot (active) storage, and additional costs related to moving large amounts of data either on or off the cloud.
- Scalability – If you have plans to grow your business, you will need a cloud storage provider that can grow with you. Be sure to check out any service provider’s ability to scale up and the costs associated with that.
Make a choice based on your unique needs
Cloud storage is a convenient and practical way for businesses to store files and data. However, the option that best suits your company’s needs won’t be the same as everyone else. It’s important to talk to a service provider who can customize a plan that’s right for you.
Keep in mind that cloud storage doesn’t replace a solid data backup solution; it’s simply a method for ensuring safe and reliable access to company data and information. TLC Solutions specializes in a variety of cloud-hosted services – our commitment to clients for these services is based on scalability, simplicity, efficiency and accountability. Please give us a call if you’d like to find out how we can help you determine the right cloud storage solution for your business.